Direct Messaging is a tool that users use to ask the instructor any questions about the course content. This is a tool that users and instructors can use to ask and answer questions about the course content, and for instructors to use to get dedicated feedback on the course. This is meant for 1:1 learning and feedback, not to promote or market to users.
Instructors – Detailed Guidelines
- DO answer questions politely and in a timely manner.
- DON’T send rude, aggressive, or threatening messages to users.
- DON’T use Direct Messaging for mass-messaging users about promotions; the use of coupons, external links, marketing messages or references to the same are prohibited. We understand that users can reach out with questions or requests, and it is important for instructors to be responsive. When users reach out with specific questions, you can feel free to answer them and direct them to appropriate resources. However, this is where we will take context into account.
- For example, if an instructor is encouraging users within the course to send them Direct Messages asking for coupons, then it is considered a violation of our policies when an instructor provides the coupon code through Direct Messaging.
- On the other hand, if a user reaches out with a question about additional material, it is not a violation if the instructor sends a link to their website where there is more information.
- DON’T ask for or post personal information about users.
Users – Detailed Guidelines
- DO ask instructors questions politely, if you’d prefer not to participate in public course discussions.
- DON’T send rude, aggressive, or threatening messages to instructors.
- DON’T use Direct Messaging to spam or request free coupons or other material unrelated to the course.
When an instructor is clearly going against the spirit of Udemy policies in an attempt to game the system or if we see a severe negative impact on the user experience (high unsubscribe rates or refund rates) it will be considered a violation of our policies.
Learn what happens when there is a violation of our policies here.