If you’re an admin for a Udemy for Business account, you can use the CSV Import feature to manage many users at once. You can use this feature to:
- Bulk import new users into your account
- Bulk add new and existing users to groups
- Bulk change user roles (e.g. from “user” to “admin”)
You can download an example CSV file here.
Please note that the CSV import feature is not available to group admins.
Getting Started With Your CSV Import
To navigate to the CSV Import, take the following steps:
- Log into your Udemy for Business account.
- Select Manage Users from the Manage menu at the top of the screen.
- Click Invite Users at the top right and then Import Users From CSV. A window will pop-up that enables you to add a unique message and upload your CSV file.
- Submit your CSV file. For more information on formatting, see the Formatting your CSV file FAQ below.
Note: Each CSV file you import can be accompanied by one message. You may edit this message on the same window that appears when you submit your CSV file. The file size limit is 1MB.
Formatting Your CSV File
CSVs can define the email, role, and group(s) for users. There are some standard formatting requirements you need to adhere to for your CSV file to upload successfully.
- The header row of the CSV must contain: email, role, groups and group admin for.
- The valid roles that you can assign a user to are “user” or "admin". Enterprise plan users can also assign the "group admin" role (see below).
- Any blanks within the role column will be automatically set to “user” if the user is new. If you leave the role column blank for existing users, their role will remain the same, i.e. if the user is an admin, they will still be an admin.
- The "groups and "group admin for" columns can be left blank
Group Formatting - Enterprise Plan Only
- Group names you assign users to must match existing group names you have already setup in your Udemy for Business account through the User Management feature.
- Group names you assign users to must already exist within your Udemy for Business account.
- The "groups" and "group admin for" columns can be left blank if applicable
- Group names and email addresses are NOT case sensitive, but they are space sensitive. Please make sure to leave no spaces before or after a word.
- You can include multiple group names for each user by separating group names with a semicolon “;” character. Please be sure, however, there are no spaces between the groups and the semicolon that separates them (i.e. Marketing;Sales;New Hires).
|role||groups||group admin for|
|[email protected]||admin||senior staff|
|[email protected]||user||marketing;new hires|
|[email protected]||group admin||sales|
Inviting new Users to Your Account
Importing a CSV containing new email addresses will invite each person in your CSV file to your Udemy for Business account via email. This email message can be crafted in the same window you use to upload your CSV file. Note that only one message may be used per CSV file upload.
It is not currently possible to remove users or groups through the CSV Import.
Adding Users to Groups (Enterprise Plan Only)
By including group names in the “groups” column of your CSV, you can add users to existing groups you have configured within the User Management section of your Udemy for Business account. This works for new users, for users you’ve invited but have not yet logged in, and existing users in your account.
The group names in your CSV must match the group names in your Udemy for Business account exactly. You can add a user to multiple groups by including multiple group names in the “groups” column, separated by a semicolon “;” character.
It is not currently possible to remove users from groups, or to create new groups, using CSV import.
Changing User Roles
By including either “user” or "admin" in the “role” column of your CSV, you can give or remove administrator access. This works for new users, for users you’ve invited but have not yet logged in, and existing users in your account.
Enterprise plan users can also assign a group admin role.
An email notification will automatically be sent to all new users you import via CSV file. If you upload another CSV file at a later time or date, the users who have not yet logged into your Udemy for Business account will receive another email invite upon the successful completion of that CSV Import.
Some Things That are not Currently Possible
Currently, the CSV import cannot be used to:
- Change the name of a user.
- Create new groups.
- Remove users from a group.
- Remove users from your Udemy for Business account.
If you are interested in these, or any other Udemy for Business features, please let us know.