Group Admins help drive effective learning engagement across an organization. We believe the best learning happens when team managers or those closest to the learning goals of your employees can help drive learning forward. Group Admin enables team leads and managers to connect learners with the right course for their professional development. Group Admins can also see reporting and insights for their groups, assign courses within their groups, manage the users in their groups and invite new users.
Please note that Group Admin functionality is only available in the Enterprise plan.
How do you make someone a Group Admin?
- Go to Manage › Manage Users
- Select the User you’d like to make a Group Admin
- Click the ellipses and then Edit Role
- Select Group Admin and select the Groups the user will be a Group Admin for
- An email will automatically be sent notifying the user of their new role
If you need to edit or remove a user’s group admin privileges, you can do so by following the same steps outlined above. All actions involving adding and removing members from a group will be logged in a “Group Membership Log’, which is accessible and downloadable by Group Admins and Admins (see below for more details).
- Group Admins can make other users within their groups a Group Admin
- Groups can have multiple Group Admins.
- Admins can create Group Admins in bulk via CSV upload.
- Admins can also invite users directly as Group Admins
- Admins can change a role when that status of an invitation is still pending
Group Admin Permissions:
Admins Group Invite new users to join Udemy for Business Yes Yes Approve, reject, publish custom courses Yes Yes Make custom course topics Yes Yes Designate other Group Admins Yes Yes: only for groups they manage Assign courses to users Yes Yes Assign courses to groups Yes Yes: only for groups they manage Create new groups Yes No Remove groups Yes Yes: only for groups they manage Remove users Yes Yes: only for groups they manage Resend or Cancel Pending Invitations Yes Yes: only for groups they manage Edit Group Membership for Pending Invitations Yes Yes Add and remove users from groups Yes Yes: only for groups they manage Adding users via the CSV Import feature Yes No See what courses members of their group are taking Yes Yes: only for groups they manage View and download the Group Membership Log* see below for more information Yes Yes: only for groups they manage View and run user adoption, user activity and course consumption reports Yes Yes: only for groups they manage Edit account settings Yes No
Can Group Admins change their role from Group Admin back to just user?
No, you can not edit your own role. A Group Admin will need to reach out to an Admin to edit their role.
Who can access the Group Membership Log?
Admins can access the Group Membership log for all groups. Group Admins can only access the Group Membership Log for the groups that they are Group Admins for.
The Group Membership Log can be accessed by doing the following:
- From the Manage dropdown menu at the top, select Manage Users
- On the left hand side of the page, click on the group you wish to review
- Click on the ellipses that appears to the left of Invite New Users, and select Group Membership Log
What information does the Group Membership Log report on?
The log reports on:
- Date: Date action was completed
- Name: Name of employee that was added or removed
- Email: Email of employee that was added or removed
- Action: Action performed
- Group: Group that log is reporting on
By: The method in which the user was added/removed from the group - i.e. SSO data, CSV upload, name of Admin/Group Admin, etc.
Note: The Group Membership log includes data from March 23rd, 2018 onwards.
Creating groups of users is a way to segment your user base into specific groups for reporting purposes. For example, you could create groups to match certain departments in your company or organization (e.g., Marketing or Finance). If you’ve created groups in your account and are ready to add users to them, this article outlines how you can do so.
Adding Users to a Group
Once you’ve created groups in your account, you can assign users to them by following these steps:
1) Navigate to Manage at the top of the page, and select Manage Users
2) Locate the user by entering their name or email address into the search tool
Please note: you can also assign users with pending invitations to groups. You can access these users by clicking on Pending Invitations under Manage Users on the left hand side of the page.
3) Once you’ve located the user you wish to add to a group, click the ellipses on the right side of their profile icon. You can also access these options on the user’s profile page
4) Select Add to a Group
5) Select the group or groups that you wish to add the user to
6) Click Save Changes
Adding Users to Groups in Bulk via CSV Import
Users can also be added to groups via a CSV import. For steps on how to add users to your account and groups in bulk, please click here.
For more information on managing users and groups in your account, please review our Navigating User Management article.
If you need to remove a user from a specific group, you can quickly do so by following the steps below:
1. Click the ellipses on the right hand side of their profile and then Edit Groups Membership.
2. Click the box to the left of the group(s) you wish to remove the user from (so that the check mark is removed)
3. Next, click Save Changes
For information on how to create and edit groups, and add users to them, please click here.
Manage who has access to your Udemy for Business account. See what courses users are taking, and better understand how people are learning on Udemy.
For Enterprise Plan accounts, the Insights features provide an even deeper view of user activity, and these comprehensive insights can also be viewed for groups of users as well.
Accessing User Management
To access user management please follow the steps below:
- Log into your Udemy for Business account
- Click Manage at the top right hand of the page, and then select Manage Users from the dropdown menu
Managing Access to Your Udemy for Business Account
To invite new users to your Udemy for Business account, click Invite New Users in the top right of the page.
- If you are inviting a handful of users, choose Individual email addresses
- To import users from your HR or Employee Directory system, choose Import Users from CSV. Find out more.
On the Pending Invitations page, you can check who has not yet accepted their invite, and resend or cancel an invitation by clicking the applicable icon. To view the Pending Invitations page, click Pending Invitations at the top left hand of the Manage Users screen.
The name of the inviter will also appear in pending invitations, if they sent individual invitations or uploaded the user's email address in bulk through the CSV import. If you sent the invitation to the user it will read "Invited by me"
If you need to remove a user from your account, please follow the steps below:
1. Select Manage Users from the Manage dropdown menu at the top of the page
2. Locate the user by entering their name or email address in the filter tool that’s located under All Users
3. Once you have located the user, click the ellipses on the right, and then select Delete User
Managing who can Administer Your Udemy for Business Account
Admins are users who can:
- Add and remove users from your account.
- Edit user roles.
- Access course and user insights (Enterprise Plan only).
- Create and manage groups (Enterprise Plan only).
How to Edit a User’s Role
If you wish to edit the role of a user, please follow the steps below:
- Locate the user by entering their name or email address in the filter tool that’s located under All Users
- Once you have located the user, click the ellipses on the the right hand side and then Edit Role
- Select the role you wish the user to have and then click Save Changes.
Please note: The group admin role is only available for Enterprise plan users.
How to Check Who is an Admin
You can check to see who has Admin access by selecting the Admins filter in the dropdown menu at the top of the Manage Users page.
You can also review who has Admin status via the user CSV report. You can export the user information report by clicking Export at the top right hand of the Manage User page.
Enterprise plan users can also assign a group admin role.
Viewing User Adoption
The User Adoption Dashboard helps you understand how many, and which users in your organization have logged in to your Udemy for Business account and started using it. Find out more.
See What Your Users are Learning
Admins can see what courses their account’s users have enrolled in by doing the following:
- Locate the user by entering their name or email address in the search tool that’s located under All Users
- Click the user’s name to see what courses they have enrolled in as well as their course progress
Creating Groups and Reviewing Insights for Your Teams and Departments (Enterprise Plan Users)
If you have may users in your account, creating groups of users that correspond with teams or departments in your company let’s you see adoption, user activity and course insights for those groups.
Creating a New Group
To create a new group, click New Group in the left hand side of the screen. Then, enter the name of the group and click Create Group.
The new group will appear on the left hand side of the page, under Groups.
Editing or Deleting a Group
You can edit the name of an existing group by following the steps below:
- Click the group you wish to edit in the list of groups on the left
- Next, click the pencil icon at the top right hand of the page
- Enter the new name of the group and click Save Changes
If you need to delete a group, click the trash can icon that appears to the right of the editing icon. You will be asked to confirm that you wish to delete the group.
Please note that deleting a group is final and cannot be undone.
Adding, Inviting And Removing Users From Groups
Once you have created a group you can add existing users to it and invite new users to the group.
To add users to a group, click the name of the group and then type the name or email address of the users you want to add to the group.
When you are inviting new users to your account, you can also choose the groups they will be added to.
- On the left hand side of the Manage Users page, click the group you wish to invite users to
- Click Invite New Users at the top right hand of the page
- Next, invite users individually by entering their email address, or add users to the group in bulk (e.g. from your Employee Directory system), by using the CSV import tool
To remove a user from a group follow the steps below:
- Click the ellipses icon on the right hand side of their profile and then Edit Groups.
- Click the box to the left of the group(s) you wish to remove the user from (so that the check mark is removed)
- Next, click Save Changes
Viewing Insights for a Group (Enterprise Plan Only)
You can view user adoption, course insights and user activity reports for a specific group. After opening any insights dashboard, use the Group filter located at the top of the page to show data for a particular group.
To add users, navigate to the Manage tab at the top right of your account and click on Manage Users from the dropdown menu. You can add users in two ways:
- Click the red Invite New Users button to invite people one by one.
- Bulk import users via a CSV import
Invited users will receive an invitation via email to join Udemy for Business. The subject line of the email will include your company's Udemy for Business account name; for example, Invitation to Company's Account. The invitation email will be sent from e.udemymail.com, but the email address of the admin who sent the invite will also be shown before that address. For example, firstname.lastname@example.org via e.udemymail.com.
After inviting users to your account, an invitation email will automatically be sent to those users. The email will link users to your Udemy for Business account, where they’ll enter their name and email, create a password, log in for the first time, and start learning.
If the user does not respond to the invitation email within 48 hours, the system will automatically send an invitation reminder to them.
On the pending invitations page the name of the inviter will appear under the user's name, if they sent individual invitations out or if they uploaded the user's email address in bulk through the CSV import. If you sent the invitation to the user it will read "Invited by me".
Please note: Internet Explorer does not allow copying and pasting from Excel into field 1 of the inviting users tool. Users will need to use Chrome or another browser.
If you have Single Sign On (SSO), you do not need to invite users one by one, nor do you need to import them through a CSV file.
If your company's firewalls are generally restrictive (certain commonly used sites are blocked), you will need to white-list the following emails from Udemy to ensure operation of the password reset function:
- a) udemy.com
- b) email.udemy.com
- c) e.udemymail.com
If you’re an admin for a Udemy for Business account, you can use the CSV Import feature to manage many users at once. You can use this feature to:
- Bulk import new users into your account
- Bulk add new and existing users to groups
- Bulk change user roles (e.g. from “user” to “admin”)
You can download an example CSV file here.
Please note that the CSV import feature is not available to group admins.
Getting Started With Your CSV Import
To navigate to the CSV Import, take the following steps:
- Log into your Udemy for Business account.
- Select Manage Users from the Manage menu at the top of the screen.
- Click Invite Users at the top right and then Import Users From CSV. A window will pop-up that enables you to add a unique message and upload your CSV file.
- Submit your CSV file. For more information on formatting, see the Formatting your CSV file FAQ below.
Note: Each CSV file you import can be accompanied by one message. You may edit this message on the same window that appears when you submit your CSV file. The file size limit is 1MB.
Formatting Your CSV File
CSVs can define the email, role, and group(s) for users. There are some standard formatting requirements you need to adhere to for your CSV file to upload successfully.
- The header row of the CSV must contain: email, role, groups and group admin for.
- The valid roles that you can assign a user to are “user” or "admin". Enterprise plan users can also assign the "group admin" role (see below).
- Any blanks within the role column will be automatically set to “user” if the user is new. If you leave the role column blank for existing users, their role will remain the same, i.e. if the user is an admin, they will still be an admin.
- The "groups and "group admin for" columns can be left blank.
Group Formatting - Enterprise Plan Only
- Group names you assign users to must match existing group names you have already setup in your Udemy for Business account through the User Management feature.
- Group names you assign users to must already exist within your Udemy for Business account.
- The "groups" and "group admin for" columns can be left blank if applicable.
- Do not add the owner of the account in the CSV file, as you will receive an error message stating that you cannot change the role of the owner. Please contact Support if you would like to change the owner of your account.
- If you add an email which is in Pending Invitations, that user will not be included in the number of new users added when you receive a successful upload message, because they had been previously invited.
- Group names and email addresses are NOT case sensitive, but they are space sensitive. Please make sure to leave no spaces before or after a word.
- You can include multiple group names for each user by separating group names with a semicolon “;” character. Please be sure, however, there are no spaces between the groups and the semicolon that separates them (i.e. Marketing;Sales;New Hires).
role groups group admin for email@example.com admin senior staff firstname.lastname@example.org user marketing;new hires email@example.com group admin sales
Inviting new Users to Your Account
Importing a CSV containing new email addresses will invite each person in your CSV file to your Udemy for Business account via email. This email message can be crafted in the same window you use to upload your CSV file. Note that only one message may be used per CSV file upload.
It is not currently possible to remove users or groups through the CSV Import.
Adding Users to Groups (Enterprise Plan Only)
By including group names in the “groups” column of your CSV, you can add users to existing groups you have configured within the User Management section of your Udemy for Business account. This works for new users, for users you’ve invited but have not yet logged in, and existing users in your account.
The group names in your CSV must match the group names in your Udemy for Business account exactly. You can add a user to multiple groups by including multiple group names in the “groups” column, separated by a semicolon “;” character.
It is not currently possible to remove users from groups, or to create new groups, using CSV import.
Changing User Roles
By including either “user” or "admin" in the “role” column of your CSV, you can give or remove administrator access. This works for new users, for users you’ve invited but have not yet logged in, and existing users in your account.
Enterprise plan users can also assign a group admin role.
An email notification will automatically be sent to all new users you import via CSV file. If you upload another CSV file at a later time or date, the users who have not yet logged into your Udemy for Business account will receive another email invite upon the successful completion of that CSV Import.
Some Things That are not Currently Possible
Currently, the CSV import cannot be used to:
- Change the name of a user.
- Create new groups.
- Remove users from a group.
- Remove users from your Udemy for Business account.
If you are interested in these, or any other Udemy for Business features, please let us know.
You will not need to manually invite users into the account if you have setup SSO. Here is more information on our SSO requirements.
This article provides resources on how you can set up logging in via single-sign on (SSO) for your Udemy for Business account. Here is more information on our SSO requirements.
To change a user’s permissions, click the ellipses to the right of the user’s name and select Edit Role. Select Admin and click Save.
You can also make a user an admin via the CSV import. Please click here for more information.
Enterprise plan users can also assign Group Admins. For more information on this role please click here.
Creating groups of users is an optional feature that allows you to segment your user base into specific groups for reporting purposes. Example groups could be setup as departments (e.g., Marketing or Finance) or office locations (e.g., San Francisco or London). You can add a user to more than one group.
If you plan to use this feature, we recommend creating all your groups before inviting users to join your account. Adding people to groups before they receive the invitation to join your account allows you to capture learning data by group from the very beginning, and saves you the trouble of adding users to groups later.
To create a group, access the Manage tab at the top of the screen and click on Manage Users from the drop down menu.
To add a group, click New Group at the bottom left of the page, type in the group name, and click Create Group. You can also add users to groups via CSV import. Please click here for details.
Please note: the only information that we collect from users is their first name, last name and the email address they used to register their account. Any additional information that users add to their profile, like their social media accounts, is not collected and therefore will not be included in any reports.
Admins can add users to groups by location, function, etc. to report on those groups and assign courses to the users in those groups. Unfortunately, data from HRIS (human resource information system), like hiring manager, start date, location, function and manager level, are not captured is users' Udemy profiles, and as such they cannot be reported on. For more on generating a report, please refer to this support article.
Deleting/Changing User Groups
To delete a group, change its name, or download the list of users in a group, click on the group name. At the top of the page you’ll see the group title above the list of users in the group. To the right of the group title you’ll see three icons: Export this Group, a pencil (to rename), and a trash can (to delete).
If you're an Enterprise Plan user, and need to purchase more licenses, please click on the Contact Us icon.
If you're a Team Plan user, however, then please follow the steps below to add more licenses to your account. Please note that the total price for a team plan is calculated on a pro rate basis, based on today's date and the end date of your yearly subscription.
1. Log into your Udemy for Business account
2. Move your cursor to Manage at the top right hand of the page,
3. Click Billing from the dropdown menu
4. Click on Add more user licenses
5. Select how many additional licenses you require and proceed to the payment page
To remove a user from your account, click the ellipses to the right of the user’s name and select Delete User.
Please know that when you remove a user from your account, the data associated with that user will no longer be available in your insights and reports, so we recommend downloading any course consumption information for that user before removing them.
If an employee has left your organization, you can remove them from your account and an additional license will be freed up, which can then be utilized by a new employee.